Camphor and Coconut oil - Natural Remedy For Cold, Cough and Chest Congestion in Infants:
Camphor and coconut oil mixture is the best natural home remedy for cold, cough and congestion in infants. It is hard for us to see them suffering and crying. It helps them to breathe easily when they have cold. It also helps to reduce the cold. This home remedy works well for kids and adults too.
In Tamil nadu, this camphor and coconut oil home remedy is the widely used home remedy to treat cold in babies and kids since it gives good relief quickly. They will have good sleep too since it enables them to breathe easily. Seeing them sleeping well, we can also sleep peacefully.
We tend to use Vicks vaporub to treat congestion in infants or babies. But we should not use it. Even the brand itself has clearly mentioned that if the sufferer is less than 2 years old, you need to consult your doctor.
Infants should be handled with a lot of care. So, you should consult a doctor when they suffer from any kind of disease including cold. You should not give any medicines you keep over the counter without doctor's consultation. You should use it only as additional remedy and doctor's consultation is must.
I have already shared two natural home remedies on how to use honey and cinnamon and Pepper and Palm sugar home remedies for cold in kids and adults. It is not advisable to give honey to babies less than one year old.
1. Heat 1/2 tbsp coconut oil in a small pan. Ensure that you switch off the stove if you want to leave in the middle of the preparation since oil tends to catch fire when it reaches its smoking point.
2. Add a small camphor. The camphor will start melting.
3. Switch off the stove once the oil becomes hot. Do not allow the oil to reach its smoking point.
Directions to use:
Apply on the chest, neck and spine 2 or 3 times a day. If you apply before they sleep, they can breathe easily and sleep peacefully.
1. When you heat any kind of oil in stove, you should not leave it unattended even for a minute. Oil tends to catch fire when it becomes very hot.
2. Camphor is poisonous for kids and even adults. So, do not keep camphor in the reach of children.
3. Do not apply this oil near nose or mouth. Take care that the kids do not taste them out of curiosity.
4. Based on the age of the infant, you need to use appropriate quantity.
5. As I mentioned earlier, it is not edible.
6. Though, it does not have any side effects, I highly recommend you to apply very little amount when you use this on your baby for the first time. Check for any allergenic conditions and stop using it immediately if exists.