When you have unexpected guests at home and if you do have not much time to prepare poori masala, you can confidently prepare bombay chutney. It will surely delight your guests too.
Now, let us see how to make bombay chutney.
Bombay Chutney Recipe - Side dish for Poori:
Bombay Chutney Recipe - Side dish for Poori
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Serves: 2
Recipe Category : Side dish for Poori, Chapathi, idli and dosa
- Besan flour/Gram Flour(Kadalai maavu) - 1/3 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Big onion - 1 finely chopped
- Tomato - 1 medium size finely chopped
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - As required
- Green chillies - 2 or 3
- Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
- Garlic - 5 flakes
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves -few
- Hing - A pinch
1. Grind 1/2 inch ginger, 5 garlic flakes and 2 or 3 green chillies in a mixer. Add little water for grinding and make a fine paste. Add 1/3 cup besan flour(kadalai maavu) and 2/3 cups water in a mixing bowl. Mix well till there are no lumps.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add 1/2 tsp urad dal, 1 tsp Bengal gram(kadalai paruppu), a pinch of hing, few curry leaves in the pan. Saute till the urad dal turns golden brown color. Add chopped onions and saute till the onion turns translucent. Add the ground paste and saute till the raw smell goes off.
3. Add chopped tomato and saute till it turns mushy. Add besan flour and water mixture in the pan. Give a quick stir. Add 1 and 1/3 cup water, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
4. Stir frequently till the raw smell of besan flour goes off. It will take more than 10 minutes. Switch off the stove once the bombay chutney is cooked well.
5. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
1. You can add boiled potato also in this chutney.
2. Bombay chutney will tends to become thicker easily. Serve it immediately. If you are going to serve later, prepare it little diluted with more water. Or, cook it with little water for 2 minutes in low flame before serving.
Hope you like the bombay chutney recipe. Please try it and give me your valuable feedback.