Idli Upma Recipe - How to make Idli Upma - Leftover Idli Recipes:
Idli upma is not something new for Tamilians. Whenever there are left over idlis, we simply prepare idli upma without second thought. It is such an easy yet tasty recipe. You can even teach how to make idli upma to your grown-up kids too. They can learn it easily. I personally like idli upma more than rava upma. It is one of the upma recipes which is simply good. If you are a beginner in cooking or bachelor staying away from home, this recipe is just for you. If your school-going kid did not have breakfast properly, prepare idli upma and pack it in their snacks box. You will win..
Side dish suggestions: Idli upma does not require any side dish. It tastes well as such since we add onions, bengal gram and groundnuts. Sambar and any chutney goes well with idli upma. My favorite side dish for idli upma is plain coconut chutney. You can check more than 13 easy chutney recipes here - easy chutney recipes.
Notes: Even though we make Idli upma only with leftover idli, you can make it from fresh idli too. But you should allow the idli to completely cool down before you make idli upma. If you use hot or warm idlis, the taste will not be good and the upma will be too mushy.
Serving suggestions: Garnish with coriander leaves before serving. I personally like to add few kellogs plain corn flakes. It adds crispiness to the idli upma.
Idli Upma Recipe - How to make Idli Upma - Leftover Idli Recipes
Prep Time: 5 mins | Serves: 2Recipe Category : Snacks, Breakfast or Dinner
- Leftover idlis - 3
- Onion - 1 Big size finely chopped
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Bengal gram - 1 tbsp
- Groundnuts - 1 tbsp(nilakadalai)
- Dry red chillies - 3 broken
- Curry Leaves - few
- Salt - As required
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Hing - A pinch
- Coriander Leaves - for garnishing
- Kellogs plain corn flakes - 1 tsp(optional)
1. Crumble the idli with your fingers and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and allow it splutter. Add urad dal, hing, bengal gram(kadalai paruppu), groundnuts(kadalai), curry leaves and red chillies. Saute till the urad dal turns golden brown color. Add onions and saute till they turn translucent.
2. Add the crumbled idli to the pan, required and mix well. Check for salt and add if required. Switch off the stove.
Garnish with coriander leaves and plain corn flakes(optional). Idli upma is ready to serve.
Hope you like the Idli Upma recipe. Please let me know how it comes for you.