Poondu Rasam Recipe - Garlic Rasam Recipe :
Poondu Rasam is how we call Garlic Rasam in Tamil. There is no need of instant rasam powder to make garlic rasam. At the same time, you can do it quickly in few minutes. It is an easy rasam recipe without rasam powder too.
Benefits of Garlic - Poondu Benefits:
Garlic(Poondu in Tamil) is a medicinal herb which is widely available everywhere. It prevents different types of cancers and it is good for people with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, coronary heart diseases, heart attack.
Adding garlic everyday in our daily food will be helpful to keep many diseases away.
Knowing the benefits of garlic, we should add garlic in our cooking daily at least in some dishes. Poondu kulambu and poondu rasam are easiest way to include more garlic in our diet. Most of the north indian gravies are also prepared with ginger garlic paste. It is not only for increasing flavor but also for their medicinal properties.
Now, let us see how to make poondu rasam(garlic rasam) now.
Poondu Rasam - Garlic Rasam Recipe - How to make Poondu Rasam:
Poondu Rasam - Garlic Rasam RecipeCooking Time: 15 mins | Serves: 2-3
Recipe Category : Rasam Recipes
- Tamarind - 1 small gooseberry size(amla size)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Tomato - 1 chopped
- Salt - As required
- Water - As required
- Coriander leaves - As required(Min 1 tbsp chopped)
- Cumin seeds/Jeera- 1 tsp
- Whole Black Pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic Pearls - 10 nos peeled(minimum)
- Green Chillies - 1 or 2 (as desired)
- Oil - 1 tbsp(Ghee also can be used for additional flavor)
- Mustard seeds - 3/4 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillies - 2
- Curry Leaves - few
- Hing - A small pinch
1. Soak tamarind in water(warm water preferably). Meanwhile, grind cumin seeds, whole black pepper, garlic pearls and green chillies in a mixie. Grind to a coarse consistency and not as a fine powder. Now, extract the tamarind water and keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and saute till they splutter. Add urad dal, dry red chillies, curry leaves and hing. Saute till the urad dal turns golden brown color. Add tamarind juice, tomato and boil it for 3 minutes in medium flame. Add the ground mixture, salt and required water to the pan and boil it. Switch off the stove immediately once you see the garlic rasam is frothy(when the bubbles coming). Add chopped coriander leaves.
Tasty and healthy Garlic rasam(Poondu Rasam) is ready. Enjoy with hot rice in this winter.
1. Do not add more or very less water.
2. Add minimum 10 garlic pearls. You can even add 1 whole garlic clove.
3. Do not boil the rasam for more time. Just switch off as soon as you see the bubbles.
4. Keep the poondu rasam covered to retain the taste and flavor.
Hope you like the Poondu Rasam recipe. Please let me know your feedback.