Kadai Paneer is paneer(Indian Cottage cheese) cooked in Kadai(Indian wok). Basically, Kadai paneer is cooked in tomato mixture with capscium cubes. You can see the capsicum chopped in bigger size and cooked in the kadai.
This Kadai Paneer recipe will give you dry or semi dry kadai paneer. I will soon post Kadai Paneer Gravy version in restaurant style. The secret of getting restaurant style kadai paneer is using freshly ground masala. Here, I have used coriander powder and red chilli powder. So, it would not consume more time. So, I can call this as Easy Kadai Paneer recipe. Believe me if you have paneer at home, it would take only 10 minutes of your time excluding its cooking time.
Now, let us see how to make Kadai Paneer at home.
Kadai Paneer Recipe - How To Make Kadai Paneer - Homemade Kadai Paneer
Preparation Time:5 mins | Cooking Time : 10 mins | Serves: 2
Recipe Category: Sidedish for roti,chapathi | Recipe Cuisine: India
- Paneer - 10 cubes
- Capsicum/Bell Pepper - 1/2 of a small size capsicum chopped into 1 inch cubes
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp or to taste
- Garam Masala powder - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
- Asafoetida - A pinch
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Sugar or jaggery - 1/4 tsp(optional)
- Crushed Kasuri Methi - 2 tbsp
- Oil or butter - 1 tbsp + 2 tsp
- Tomato - 2 big or 3 small
- Ginger - 1/4 inch
- Green chilli - 1
1. Heat a tsp of oil in a pan or tawa. Shallow fry the paneer cubes and keep aside. Don't allow the paneer cubes to change in color. Heat another tsp of oil in the same pan and add chopped capsicum cubes. Stir fry till the capsicum gets semi cooked. Then only it will be tasty. It should not be fully cooked. Keep the capsicum cubes aside. Grind 2 tomatoes, 1 green chilli and 1/4 inch ginger in a mixer to a fine paste. Do not add water while grinding.
2. Heat a pan. Add 1 tbsp butter or oil. Once it becomes hot, add cumin seeds. Let it crackle. Add the ground tomato mixture to the pan. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt. Allow the tomato mixture to get completely cooked. The raw smell should go off. It will take 5 minutes approx. If the tomato mixture sticks to the pan, add little water.
3. Add 1/2 cup water and crushed dried kasuri methi leaves and capsicum cubes. Mix them well. Allow it cook for 1-2 minutes or until the capsicum gets blended with the tomato mixture. Add paneer cubes and give a gentle quick stir. If you want a hint of sweetness, add 1/4 tsp of sugar or jaggery(optional). Allow it to cook for another 1 minutes. Switch off the stove.
1. You can add different color capsicum like red and yellow color bell peppers too in this recipe.
2. Do not overcook after you add paneer cubes.
3. If paneer cubes are not soft, put them in hard water for 10 minutes before adding.
Hope you enjoyed the kadai paneer recipe. Will come back soon with another interesting article. If you like this blog, subscribe with your email address and like us on facebook in the side bar to get instant updates on the posts.