Brown Rice Idli Recipe - Brown Rice Idli Indian Recipe - Indian Style Recipes:
Brown Rice Idli Recipe - South Indian favorite Idli Made with brown rice. Try to prefer brown rice instead of regular white idli rice when you want to lose weight. Brown rice is good for weight loss. Brown rice is very good for people with diabetes. According to wiki, the nutritional value of brown rice has recently been challenged due to concern over arsenic levels. Check wiki for more information.
Brown rice is also called as hulled rice or unmilled rice. Brown Rice in Hindi - Bhura Chaval. Brown rice is not used widely in Tamil Nadu and many parts of the country. It is also not widely available in grocery stores. But you can find it online and big supermarkets.
I have started using brown rice for making idli and dosa only recently after knowing the health benefits of brown rice. Brown rice is expensive when compared to regular idli rice. But it is worth it. You can try to include brown rice at least once or twice a week in your diet.
I usually soak whole urad dal and idli rice separetely for idli dosa batter. Since I grind them in large quantity, I soak them separately as they have different grinding time and cannot be ground together due to the limited grinding capacity of grinder. But I soak brown rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds together for making brown rice idli dosa batter. Since I make in lesser quantity, I soak them together and grind them together. But when you make in more quantity, you can soak and grind separately. I never had problem with the brown rice idli dosa batter.
I have given two variants of brown rice idli recipe. Some people(like my hubby) looks for tasty dinner. My hubby does not like when I make brown rice idli with brown rice and urad dal alone. There is definitely a mild taste variation between regular idli and brown rice idli. Brown rice idli will be little chewy and have nutty flavor. But people like me do not consider mild taste variations but my hubby does. So, I take brown rice and regular idli rice in the ratio of 50:50 so that the taste will be little better.
Brown rice idli dosa batter becomes soar very easily. I soak the brown rice, idli rice and urad dal in the early morning. I grind them before afternoon and allow it to ferment. It will be ready to make brown rice idli for dinner.
Try to make sambar and chutney for brown rice idli especially when you do not use regular idli. Then only kids will enjoy and eat it. Otherwise they might refuse eating brown rice idli.
Brown Rice Idli Recipe with step by step pictures:
- Take whole urad dal, fenugreek seeds, brown rice and idli rice(if you are using) in a big bowl. Rinse the rice and dal very well for 3 times. Soak with sufficient water for 3-4 hours until the dal becomes soft. Add more water as the rice and dal will expand while soaking. Drain the excess water in a bowl. If it is drinking water, you can use it for grinding. Grind urad dal, brown rice and idli rice(if you are using) with sufficient water until it reaches the regular idli dosa batter consistency. It might take 30-40 minutes approximately. Transfer the brown rice idli batter to a container. The brown rice idli batter will ferment so use a big container. Add salt and mix well with your hands. Let it ferment for 7-8 hours. Fermenting hours depends on the climate as well. Keep the batter inside the fridge if you are not using immediately.
- To make brown rice idli, mix the batter well. Pour it into the idli mold using a ladle. Steam it in idli pot for 8 minutes approximately as you cook normal white idli. Brown rice idli is ready to serve.
1. If you are making brown rice idli batter in more quantity than the mentioned one in the brown rice idli recipe, you need to soak urad dal and feugreek seeds together. Soak brown rice(and idli rice if you are using) separately. Grind the dal and rice separately.
2. According to my experience, brown rice idli batter gets soared easily. So, keep an eye on the batter while fermenting.
3. It is recommended to store it an air tight container even when you refrigerate it as it gets soared easily.
4. It is good to consumer it within 2 days. Otherwise the brown rice idli will be soar.
5. Pair it up with sambar and chutney to make it palatable.