Hing | Asafoetida Benefits and Uses for Skin, Health and Beauty:Asafoetida is called 'Hing' in Hindi, Ingu in Kannada, Inguva in Telugu, Perunkayam/Perungayam in Tamil. It is a dark amber resin obtained from the dried sap from the stem and roots of wild/giant fennel plant.
The asafoetida which we use in our home in powder form is compounded asafoetida which contains 30% asafoetida resin, flour and gum arabic.
Asafoetida has more medicinal uses. But it should be noted that one should not take it in more quantity. My grandma used to tell that it is good to take only few pinches and not more than 1/8 tsp at a time.
Asafoetida Benefits and Uses for Skin, Health and Beauty:
1. Asafoetida for Digestion problems:
Asafoetida is mainly used in our houses as it is good for digestion. It is always good to add at least a pinch of asafoetida while cooking dal, pulses and making pickles.
2. Asafoetida for Flatulence, gas problems and Constipation:
Heat a cup of water. Allow it to cool till it becomes warm. Add a pinch of asafoetida to the water and drink it. You can have it twice or thrice a day till you get relief from the gas problems and constipation.
3. Asafoetida for Babies and Infants:
Asafoetida can be used for digestion problems, bloating stomach and colic problems in babies, infants and children. Just make a paste of asafoetida and water, apply it on the stomach directly. As we are applying it externally and no giving internally, it is completely safe for children. Adults can also try this. It can be applied 2-3 times daily. Remember that it is for external use only for babies, infants and kids. Few people use oil also instead of water.
4. Asafoetida for Pimples:
Asafoetida can be mixed with water, milk, curd or fresh cream taken from the milk. Apply this paste directly on pimples. Apply this paste daily to see good results. Asafoetida paste is really good to cure acnes.
5. Asafoetida for stomach pains:
Asafoetida is very good for common stomach problems such as normal stomach upset and pains. Just try adding a pinch of asafoetida in warm water and drink it. You might be lucky to get relief from stomach pain if it is a common one.
1. Asafoetida has to be used in pinches. It should not be taken in large quantity.
2. Do not give asafoetida for babies internally.
3. Do a patch test if you are going to use asafoetida for skin problems. It is a must if you have very sensitive skin.
4. Wash off the asafoetida paste if your child feels uncomfortable with it. If you like this blog, subscribe with your email address and like us on facebook in the side bar to get instant updates on the posts.