Thakkali Thokku - Tomato Thokku Recipe - Tomato Chutney:
Thakkali thokku is an easy to prepare and tasty accompaniment for idli, dosa, chapathi and even rice. The secret of making a tasty thakkali thokku is to allow it to cook the tomatoes well and come into a thokku consistency. The main ingredient is only tomato. So, it will be a great saver when you do not have coconut at home.
About the taste: It has a good tangy taste with mild sweetness. If you want a spicy tomato chutney you can omit the jaggery.
Storage suggestion: You can even store it in fridge for many days and use it. Since we are not adding coconut, tomato thokku will not get spoiled easily.
Serving suggestion: If you add little gingelly oil while eating, it will be very tasty. Let us see how to make thakkali thokku now.
Thakkali Thokku - Tomato Thokku - Tomato Chutney:
Thakkali Thokku - Tomato Thokku - Tomato Chutney
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 8 mins | Serves: 2
Recipe Category : Side dish for idli, dosa and rice
- Tomatoes - 3 medium size chopped roughly
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/8 tsp(optional)
- Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 - 1.5 tsp as you wish
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - As required
- Jaggery powder - 1 - 1.5 tsp as you wish
- Any edible Oil(Sesame oil tastes good) - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Hing - 2 pinches
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves - few
1. Grind tomatoes, 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds(optional) in a mixie. Grind them to a fine paste. No need to add water. Keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. Allow it to splutter. Add urad dal, cumin seeds, curry leaves and hing. Saute till the urad dal turns golden brown color and the cumin seeds crackle. Add the ground tomato paste in the pan. Mix well.
3. Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix well. It will take more than 5 minutes to get the tomatoes cooked well. You can even cover and cook to fasten up the cooking. But take care not to get the thokku burnt. Stir occasionally. The thokku starts becoming bright red color and reduces in quantity.
Serve it with idli, dosa or curd rice.
1. If you make thokku from 3 tomatoes, it will be sufficient for only 2 servings. If you want to store it, make it in large amount.
2. Adding jaggery is purely optional. If you like the mild sweetness, you should add it to enjoy the hint of sweetness in each and every spoon.
3. You can add fenugreek powder instead of fenugreek seeds.
4. Since the tomato thokku takes some time to get cooked, you might feel to concentrate on other work. Stir occasionally to avoid the thokku get burnt.