I will easily get bored to have rice with other kulambu repeatedly. But I am always ok to have rice with Sambar. Sambar recipe is a simple and very easy one. If you are just learning about cooking, you should start learn this sambar recipe in addition to Rasam which is another easy recipe. You can easily prepare this and make your guests happy by this excellent South Indian Sambar recipe:-) You can use the left out Sambar as a side dish for Idli and Dosas for dinner too!!
Small Onion - handful
Toor dal - 100 grams
Tamarind juice - Extracted from one lemon size tamarind
Sambar powder - 2 teaspoon(Check here for the Sambar powder recipe)
Red Chilli powder - 1/2 to 1 teaspoon as you wish
Turmeric powder - 1/8 teaspoon
Asafoetida - A generous pinch
Tomato - 1 finely chopped
Other Vegetables - Drumstick/Brinjal/Ladies finger/Carrot
Salt - As required
Oil - 1 teaspoon
Corriander leaves - small bunch
Water - As required
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 10
Coconut - 2 tablespoon
Jeera - 1 teaspoon
Water - 1/4 cup
1. Boil the Toor dal well. You can boil in pressure cooker when you boil rice. Mash it for later use.
2. Mix the sambar powder, Red Chilli powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, tomato, salt in the juice extracted from tamarind and required amount of water and keep it ready.
3. Grind the coconut and jeera with water.
4. Heat one teaspoon of oil in a pan and add the 'For seasoning' items and let them splutter.
5. Add small onions and once the onions become golden color, add the mixture of tamarind juice and the powders.
6. Add vegetables and tomatoes.
7. Add little water required to get the vegetables boiled.
8. Once the vegetables are cooked well, add toor dal.
9. After 3 minutes, add coconut and jeera mixtue. Add the required water to get fine consistency.
10. Allow it to boil till the raw coconut smell goes off.
11. Add corriander leaves for garnishing.
Your Sambar is ready to serve now. Hope you can have a good meals with this easy sambar recipe.
Please leave your valuable comments.